Aboriginal Decision-making in Canada’s North
A large group of participants came together to attend a workshop, hosted by the Aboriginal Summit, to build a foundation to prepare for access and benefits negotiations for the Mackenzie Gas Project. This group included Chiefs, negotiating team members and pipeline working group members from the Deh Cho, Sahtu, Gwich’in and Inuvialuit Settlement Regions.
Our role was to bring together key parties to enhance the understanding and capacity of organizations in managing and negotiating access and benefits resulting from the Mackenzie Gas Project. This included:
- Enhanced capacity for successful access and benefits negotiations for the MGP;
- Reviewed lessons learned and best practices from previous access and benefits negotiations;
- Identified context for access, benefits and related arrangements;
- Reviewed the construction and operational components of the MGP; and
- Identified next steps and the process used for negotiations, e.g. timing, negotiating teams and funding.